What causes itching on stomach 5 weeks after gastric bypass surgery?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: itching on stomach side,itching is severe taking levocetrizine & applying venusia soft,I am on 5thweek after gastric bypass
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be: reaction to local application for skin preparatio just before surge

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.

Noted that you are in the 5 th week after gastric bypass and there is severe itching on stomach side, taking Levocetirizine and applying Venusia soft.

As depicted from the history of itching over stomach area, this looks to be a reaction to the local application of the solution that is applied just before surgery as skin preparation to avoid any infection.
Please continue Levocetirizine orally, continue applying venusia soft.
I would advise you the following:
Consult a Doctor or a Dermatologist preferably so that additional medication if required in the form of topical and/or oral steroids in a very short course of a few dosages may reduce the itching dramatically.
Secondly, it is imperative to get your liver function tests to see that there is no hepatitis as this too can cause severe itching.

I hope this answer helsp you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.