What causes itching on penis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
I m XXXX Age: 26
I am feeling itching on my penis towards the front end portion. Near tip.
And i think this is coz of allergy of condom.
Its severe itching and skin becomes red and also the skin on penis swells if I scratch it rigourously due to itch.
Can u help?
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Balanoposthitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.

This looks to be a problem called balanoposthitis.

The effective treatment is as follows:
Clean the area with plain water 2 to 4 times a day and and keep it dry with a pure cotton cloth or a dryer.
you may apply liquid Povidone Iodine locally or a Metronidazole cream- nothing else at all. We have seen no results with any other solution, cream or ointment. So do not try anything else; if you are using any, please stop it.

A course of antibiotic with metrogyl orally for 5 to 7 days should help you to get a cure.
Please get your Blood Sugar checked and if your partner has some problems ask her to take the same course.