Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes itching in urethera when using disposable catheters?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I have to use disposable catheters to empty my bladder. I have a terrible itch in my urethra and don't know what to do. Could it be an infection???
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, infection is very probable. Every time you do insert a catheter, there is a risk of inserting bacteria during this action. No matter if everything is sterile or not.
Itching, burning while urinating, frequent urinating, lower abdominal pain, blood in urine are typical infection symptoms.
I suggest you to consult your doctor and have urine analysis done. Antibiotics should be prescribed. You should also increase mineral water intake and start cranberries supplementation.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes itching in urethera when using disposable catheters? 39 minutes later
I guess you can't call me in a script. Being Sunday I can't get ahold of my Dr.
Thank You

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
I`m sorry but I cant.
Regards.