What causes itching in the thoracic area while on Melatonin and Clonazepam?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I've been taking melatonin 5-10mg nightly along with clonozapam 1mg. for insomnia & restless legs for the past 2 to 3 months prescribed by my pain doctor. The past 5 days I've been feeling very itchy in my thoracic area arms. I cannot sleep well. I ' m up all night & have. felt my heart beating fast.
Currently l sm on a 30 day event monitor
due to recently being diagnosed with bifasicular heart block. I also have diabetes type 2 & hypertension for which l am taking norvasc 10mg & toprol xl. 6.25mg/day. Could there be any damage to my system by now? If yes what kind? I believe I should stop taking
The melatonin. Please advise me. Thank you. XXXXXXX K

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to any permanent damage to the nervous system.

The itching in the thoracic area and arms could be related to an allergic reaction.

From the other hand the bifascicular heart block seems to be a chronic damage of the cardiac conduction system. It could be related to myocardial ischemia (considering the fact that you suffer from diabetes and high blood pressure).

Have you pressed the event monitor during these episodes of palpitations and itching?

After this test, I would also recommend performing a cardiac exercise stress test, considering your cardio-vascular risk factors.

Regarding melatonin, you should know that it can be taken up to three months. So, I would recommend stopping it now. Clonazepam will help you sleep without the need of melatonin, because it is better tolerated for long periods of time.

Anyway, considering your symptoms, I would recommend consulting with your doctor for a physical exam and some tests:

- a chest X ray study
- complete blood count, PCR, ESR for inflammation
- uric acid levels
- liver function tests.

Allergy tests may be needed too.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri