What causes itching in the ears?

Posted on Mon, 23 Jan 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello Doctor,
I'm 31 years old. Am having Itchy in my ear. Yesterday while taking bath I had cleaned my ears and my right ear feeling like some blocked.
Could you please suggest me what can be done for this?
I clean my ear everyday while taking bath - is this right?
How to clean my ears ? The inner ear will be oily.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may be having a fungal ear infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

From the symptoms of itching and ear block it is likely that you may be having a fungal infection and will need antifungal drops for treating it.

In my patients I normally start clotrimazole ear drops to be applied as 2 drops 5 to 6 times a day answer ask my patients to keep the ear dry for at least a week. That means they should avoid swimming or taking a head bath.

I would also strongly advice you not to use ear buds for cleaning your ear as wax will normally come out and does not required to be removed.

please meet an ent doctor to confirm the diagnosis and the prescription

Take care!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist