What causes itching in penis after taking Bactrim pill?
Sulfa drug allergy - Strict avoidance required
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.
You have developed 2 reactions to Sulfa drugs under which Bactrim falls and you must ensure that you avoid this class of drugs in the future.
If you were not on any other medication at the same time, then the time line you have indicated is in concurrence with significant Bactrim allergy.
Please note that there is no blood test available to diagnose this drug allergy.
Do NOT attempt at 3rd challenge or if anyone advises to offer a skin test to diagnose this allergy.
Antihistamines such as Fexofenadine; a short course of oral steroids may be required if the reaction persists - definitely if blood tests suggest liver function tests have become abnormal or you have developed mouth ulcers etc.
DRUGS TO AVOID:
Oral - Septra, Bactrim, Pediazole (Sulphonamide group of antibiotics), Dapsone, Sulfasalazine, Zonisamide
Topical sulfa antibiotics, such as sulfacetamide eye drops/shampoos/creams, silver sulfadiazine cream.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can taking bactrim cause vaginal lichen sclerosus
- What causes itching inside the penis
- What are the causes and treatments for itching in penis
- What causes itching on the outside of the penis
- What causes itching on penis after having sex
- What causes itching in penis after an intercourse
- What causes discoloured patch causing itching under penis foreskin
- Bactrim ds causing vaginal itching
- What causes itching and tingling on penis after unprotected sex
- What causes itching in penis