• question-icon

What causes itching in foreskin of the penis?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Sexual Health
Question: Since few days my foreskin of penis is iching, i havent had sex for almost a month as i was out from last. So doesnt seems any infection trasmitted from my wife. She also complains of iching in her vagina entrance i can see little redness. Are we both had any kind of infection, what is the cure.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
possibility of infection

Detailed Answer:

Itchy foreskin can be due infection. The commonest cause of infection is poor hygiene.
The foreskin of the penis is an ideal place for bacteria to grow.
Irritation in the area can also cause foreskin and glans infection (balanitis). Irritation can arise from:
- not rinsing soap completely off of your penis after showering
- using scented soaps to clean the penis
- using bar soap that dries out the skin
- using scented lotions or sprays on the penis

Cure includes maintain proper hygiene, anti inflammatory and antibiotic/antifungal cream/medicines and some local steroid application if there is more inflammation. Proper physical examination of both partners is needed and both should be treated.

Let me know following for further guidance.

- There is no sex since one month. Since when exactly you and your wife have this complain of itching?

- Is there any pain, discharge, swelling, difficulty in sex?

- Please send me clear photos if feasible.

- Is there any past history of genital infection in either of the partner? If yes, how was it treated?

- Any of the partners has any physical problem like diabetes or is taking any medicine?

I will be happy to help further after your response.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 40 minutes later
My wife has iching since 2-3 days, my iching started when i was in New York. There was no issue during our last sex. Please let me know which type of cream we should use. Is Candid B ok. We dont have diabetics.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Candid B can be used

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for information.

One possibility is that infection has been transmitted during last intercourse. Symptoms appear early in men and later in women.

Candid B generally useful in such infections. However physical examination by a doctor is recommended. If some discharge is there swab can be taken for confirmation of infection before suing drug. And sometime fungal infection can be increased with use of steroid.

It is prescription medicine. Online prescription is not valid. I am sorry for limitation from our side. It is better to use cream after consulting local doctor so any side effect occurs by chance doctor can provide immediate help.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 20 hours later
Thanks a lot, we'll follow. Please close the conversation
Brief Answer:
take care

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome. Conversation should be closed by your side. Or our customer care will do the same.

In future if you wish you can contact me directly on this site with following link:
http://bit.ly/drchintansolanki

by clicking on 'Ask me a question' on same page with three follow up questions.

All the best and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist