What causes itching in ears?

Posted on Thu, 26 Jun 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have dry ear with no wax and it is causing irritation.
I had a left temporal brain surger last year for brain tumor.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more info

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would like to have a little more clarity over your info in order to help you better. Please get back to me with the following details

1. When you say your ear is dry, do you mean the ear canal or the skin around the ear?
2. Are both ears dry the same way?
3. How often do you clean your ears and with what?
4. Does your dry ear itch as well?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Here are the details
1.I meant ear canal.
2.I am having problem with left ear.
3.I usually clean it twice a week with ear buds.But no wax comes out of my left ear.Just some dirt.Also once lot of dry flaky dirt came out which look like a skin flake not sure what was that.
4.Yes there is itching but no pain as much.I feel as if my ear is block and have sensation.I usually open my mouth widely to feel better.

Few additional info
Last year in XXXXXXX I had a brain surgery for tumor in left temporal lobe.After than radiation and chemo for 30 days.I am having this problem since last 3-4 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query

Some of the most common causes of itch ears are allergic dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, seborrheic dermatitis can cause itching in the ear and the most common reason is seborrheic dermatitis. It is unlikely that this issue is related to the brain surgery

Here is what I recommend
1. Keep your scalp clean by using a good anti dandruff shampoo, wash every once in two days. Make sure it doesnt go into your ear
2. Avoid picking on your ear with sharp instruments and ear buds. You might make it worse.
3. Visit an ENT specialist to rule out any active infection, it is possible that you might be having a fungal or a bacterial infection of the canal. If there is no infection then I suggest you use a steroid ear drop like Otomax to reduce the inflammation.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back me

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist