What causes itching in cellulitis while on Augmentin?
is it normal for the cellulitis to be itching?? Im worried about this. he is on claritin for allergies (the dr told him to stop this while on antibiotics) i am worried that he is allergic to the antibiotic?? what does the itching mean???
Thanks for the query
It is normal in patients with cellulitis to have mild itching at the site, it can either due to the dressing or at times the new granulation tissue ( new skin formation) itches. Try not to scratch when it itches.
The other most common reason for itching is moistness and sweat over the area. Make sure that the area is clean and away from moisture
I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me
If my advise was helpful write me a review, it makes me happy.
the Doctor switched antibiotics from Augmentin to Bactrim on Friday morning 10/24/14. (to be given every 12 hours)
Friday was essentially "test dose" day, so he only got one pill.
On friday night, the leg was greatly improved. About 70% of the leg was clearing with about a 2 inch wide by 4 inch long rectangle of redness.
this morning, saturday 10/25/14, there was no redness at all. the previous red area (2" x 4" rectangle) is turning shades of brown. Is this normal? Should I worry? Does this mean that the tissue is dying??
Thanks for getting back, its nice to hear that the wound is healing. It is a little difficult for me to imagine what you have described. Redness of the healing tissue does not become brown however the previous infected tissue turns dark brown in colour, if you could attach the picture it would be of great help. I could see and decide if its improving or not
Another issue has come up. There are three dark spots around the actual wound(maybe a millimeter in length? They look like moles)
None of the three spots are in the actual wound. (its an open wound)
One is above it, another to the side, And a third spot looks like it was a part of an everted skin edge.
Are these spots dead tissue?
Could this be some sort of infections process that the antibiotic (Bactrim) does not address?
any thoughts on what these spots could be would be greatly appreciated
10/26/14 1:32 am
also, how urgent is this? He will see his doctor again on monday. its very early sunday morning 10/26/14 can this wait until tomorrow? please advise
Thanks for the query
The three spots what you are describing might be blood clots, it is common to have mild discolouration around wound. I dont think it is an emergency, you can wait till monday.
Some of the danger signs are
1. Local rise of temperature
2. Increase in pain
3. Peripheries ( area away from the wound) becoming cold
4. High grade fever
5. Greenish discouration and oozing of pus along with foul odor
I hope I was of help, i would have been able to add much more if I had a look at the wound
this morning there is no change to the wound.
Cannot be MRSA
The pimple outside of the wound might be a blister, it cannot be MRSA as patients with MRSA infected wound would be toxic and almost always require Intra venous antibiotics for control of the infection.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cellulitis causes
- Cellulitis causes symptoms treatment
- What is cellulitis
- Periorbital cellulitis causes
- Can cellulitis cause fever?
- Preseptal orbital cellulitis causes
- What causes cellulitis after j pouch surgery
- Chronic cellulitis infection causes
- What causes cellulitis leg
- Can cellulitis cause confusion
- Blood test showing abnormal WBCs, neutrophils, lymphocytes, alkaline...
- Sperm test found to have very severe oligoteratozoo with severe...
- Pain in back. Is cold the cause & what medication?
- Advised for gall bladder, hydrosil and prostrate gland enlargement...
- Dizziness, pressure in ears and noise while swallowing after child...
- Blurred vision, pain & dry eyes,flashing lights in eye, menopausal &...
- Old and out of shape. Heart rate races after strenuous exercise. Use a...
- My urine really stinks. Why would this happen?
- Pain in the head, pulsing sound in ears, back pain. Serious issue?
- Sore and achy around heart. Fluctuates throughout the day. Why would...