What causes itching in breast?
The cause is usually benign-more info needed
I'll try to answer your question by presenting possible causes of your problem. More information would be needed for a more complete answer.
Most cases of itching are caused by allergic reactions which cause inflammation to the skin (eczema). Several irritants can be the cause as well.
For example if you breastfeed a baby then your nipple and areola can get irritated enough to cause this inflammation.
Try to remember if you're exposed to chemical substances like a new soap, perfume etc that you haven't used before.
Finally I should mention that rare cases of cancer can present with itching. Paget's disease for example causes an eczema like condition.
If both breasts are itchy then the cancer scenario is even more unlikely.
Although chances are you're having just an eczema and you shouldn't worry about that, I suggest you visit your doctor for visual inspection and palpation of the breasts.
Should you need clarifications on the subject, feel free to ask again. You may provide more information if you want, like :
- is there any visible lesion?
- is the nipple, areola, surrounding skin involved (which if any) ?
- are any other areas of your body affected?
- do you have a history of allergy?
- did you take any medication?
- are you breastfeeding?
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes breast to swell
- What causes breast inflammation
- What causes pain in breast
- What causes a sore breast
- What causes tingling and itching below breast
- What causes lumps in breasts
- What causes fibrocystic breast
- What is the virus that causes red splotchy itching on breast
- What causes breast and nipple itching
- Causes of breast itch
- Suggest treatment for splenic cyst
- What causes dry throat?
- What causes itching in breast?
- What causes chest pain and heart burn?
- Suggest treatment for pain in heels
- Can i take Paxil along with Clonidine?
- Suggest ways to manage diabetes
- Does taking Plaquinel for lupus affect the memory?
- What does an enlarged lymph node on neck indicate?
- Is infection possible by touching a dead bird despite using a disinfectant?