What causes itching feeling in penis?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: 2 months/8 weeks ago, I had an unprotected sexual encounter. Approximately 2 weeks ago I had my urine tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea and the results were negative. My partner is reporting that approximately 4 weeks ago he started feeling an itching sensation inside his penis that is mild to moderate, and comes and goes. He has had no burning, and no discharge of any kind, only the occasional itching sensation. He says the itching began shortly after I performed oral sex on him one night. I have no symptoms of any kind. I'm very concerned, although I'm hoping it's something innocuous such as a u.t.i. I'd be happy to provide any more information you need.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yeast infection and Trichomoniasis have to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Following oral sex yeast infection is possible. If the itching is outside your organ then it could possibly due to mild yeast infection.
Increase consumption of water would relieve his symptoms.
Trichomonas infection is another possibility for Itching inside the urethra.
Urinary tract infection can be identified by a simple urinary examination by the presence pus cells in urine if exists more than 5 in number.]

In short possibility of an infection exist given the nature of his symptoms and the history of unprotected sexual activity. I will suggest he drinks plenty of water and try over the counter antifungal cream. He should also consider visiting a doctor where necessary tests can be performed.

Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 25 minutes later
The itching is inside his penis, so that leaves trich, and a u.t.i. Do urinary tract infections last that long?

I've heard that trich can remain dormant in one's body for months or even years before showing symptoms. Is that true?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Trichomonas and UTI can remain for longer period without much symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Trichomonas in men often remains symptom less and difficult to identify when compared to the infection in women. If not treated it could remain for a prolonged period without any obvious symptom. Rarely it causes a tingling or itchy sensation in men.
Urinary tract infection also can persist for long time without treatment. Certain individuals would not develop any obvious manifestations and remain latent for months.
Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist