What causes itching bumps on vagina after intercourse?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Tue, 15 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: I never had any puss filled bumps.. I had intercourse over 3 months ago and my symptoms got worse after using monistat. I went to the doctor 3weeks after intercourse and I was told I had a yeast infection. I couldn't get to refill the meds so I used monistat 3 Immediately it burned and itches. None of the bumps have opened into any kind of sore.. i have been using yogurt to ease the itching.I went to the doctor yesterday and was told that she didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I woke up to and found three open cuts they don't hurt at all and my discharge is still cause a slight burning sensation. No burning during urination and no stomach pains or groin pains. The medicine I used for the yeast infection gave me stomach cramps and a headache. .. fast forward I went to the doctor within the pass two weeks and she told me I had bv and gave me metro gel but the tiny bumps still come and go. also there a piece of flesh or tissue that's fleshed colored at the base and white at the top it does not pop or get bigger or smaller or cause pain. I told her about it and she said she does not know what else it could be. im not sure if I need more meds because I had it for so long or is it something else. I also told her that both side of my wall aren't the same the left side has more tissue or flesh. she told me since I had a baby that's why it looks like that. what is going ive been suffering for 3 months
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Brief Answer: There are few other possibilities... Detailed Answer: Hi Having bumps on vagina, after inter course, itching, makes one restless, especially who is conscious about STD. I do understand your condition. Let see about possibility of STDs which cause itching bumps due to infections. They are mainly yeast infection/candidiosis/trichomoniasis, which show less discharge in the beginning. You have been treated without any advantage, but the possibility of insufficient treatment doses still remain. So I would advice- - Vaginal swab test to exclude the candidiosis/trichomoniasis. - To get your partner examined for these conditions, The white patch with red base / a changed shape of vaginal side walls (Bartholinitis) may be unrelated to infection. It may be from an allergic reaction -due to friction during sex/irritation due to underwear/ female douches/soaps/ clogging of skin pores due to moisturisers,lubricants; some medical conditions causing dry skin produce dry skin produce such condition viz - Diabetes, hormonal imbalance; black heads, white heads; skin conditions like Psoriasis/ Eczema. Unfortunately without an opportunity to examine those lesions myself, I am unable to narrow down on the list of possibilities. I would advice you to consult a gynecologist first to exclude possibilities of remnant infection and to treat your partner. You can also visit a dermatologist to rule out skin conditions that I described later. You are still young I must ascertain need of genital hygiene through out life. I hope you found the answer informative & helpful I will be happy to help in case of any follow up query. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad