What causes itching behind ear followed by bumps and fluid discharge?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Been washing my ears with a bar of soap then it became itchy. I kept scratching behind my ear till it started discharging liquid one day.

bumps started forming behind my ear and in front of my ear lobe. Its a bunch of small bumps all clustered together, some look like pimples. Clear liquid has been oozing, then turn yellow after drying. It has been oozing out for a few days now with no signs of stopping. It doesn't hurt, just very itching.

Been applying equate antibiotic ointment but I'm not sure if it's helping the healing process.what is it and how do I treat it?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like Impetigo.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Looks like Impetigo in the images attached.

2. Get an opinion from a Skin Specialist.

3. You will require oral antibiotics (such as amoxicillin with clavulanate), local anti-bacterial ointment (such as mupirocin).

4. If possible, you can get a swab sent for culture and antibiotic sensitivity. The possibility of fungal infections must also be kept in mind.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist