• question-icon

What causes itching at the urethral opening?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have a lot of itching at the urethral opening. No rash or UTI symtoms
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Itching in the area of the vagina (which the urethral opening is, roughly) is often due to an overgrowth of yeast. Yeast are normally present our our skin, but are kept in check by other things such as good bacteria, and conditions that make it more inhospitable for them to grow.

Things that alter the balance and allow yeast to grow include:
taking an antibiotic (kills good bacteria)
heat
moisture
increase sugar in your system (such as with diabetes)
lowered immune function
poor air circulation (such wearing polyester and sitting all day)
taking hormones (such as the Pill) - but this is not a big risk factor compared to the other things above.

If there is no discharge, you can try soaking in the bath with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, or using it diluted half strength gently on a washcloth with water.

An anti yeast cream can be purchased over the counter, but first try the apple cider vinegar. If that doesn't help, best to see a doctor to confirm that there is nothing else going on.

Occasionally a food that a person has eaten can cause this sort of thing. But more typically it is from yeast.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh