What causes itching at lower back portion of head?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I get itches on the lower back of my head and when i use memotasone cream it goes a little and comes back. Is this due tobekergy and can i do?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis Or scalp psoriasis; Topical Calcipotriol lotion

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have noted down your concern.

Itching in the lower part of back of head is most likely due to either seborrheic dermatitis Or scalp psoriasis; both of these usually presents as itching, erythema/redness, and scaling. Scratching might also lead to oozing and crusting.

Seborrheic dermatitis as wel as scalp psoriasis are steroid responsive dermatoses and that is why you notice that your symptoms improve with mometasone furoate, even though temoprarily; seborrheic dermatitis may relapse once the steroid is discontinued.

If I was the treating doctor I would suggest you to use an antiseborrheic shampoo e.g Coal tar and/ or ketconazole based shampoo, to be used every alternate days, regularly for a longer duration, to prevent a relapse.

In addition to the shampoo, I would suggest that you use either calcipotriol Or calcitriol lotion (Vitamin D analogue), once or twice daily at scalp skin, for 2 weeks, in place of a topical steroid (e.g mometasone furoate).

An oral antihistamine e.g tablet of cetrizine 10 mg once daily will provide you symptomatic relief from itching.

These are prescription drugs and should be used under supervision of a dermatologist therefore I suggest that you visit a dermatologist in your region for a confirmatory diagnosis as well as for the needful.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
What causes this??
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Immune mediated mechanism

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Inflammation in seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis is immune mediated.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Does it mean that i need to eat something need to boost my immune sydtem??
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No role of diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No. The condition is a result of an 'Imbalance' of immune system rather than due to immune deficiency.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
So to balance. Is it just by medication? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Topical medications help restore normal immune mechanisms in seborrheic dermatitis & psoriasis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes. Seborrheic dermatitis and scalp psoriasis are due to overactive immune system and Topical medications (topical steroids and topical immunomodulators like Vitamin D analogues) help correct this immune imbalance and therefore benefit the condition.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina