What causes itching and tingling sensation at the top base of the penis?

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Does this look like herpes? It doesnt hurt to touch no other symptoms, itching or tingling, fever or flu like synptoms. Just very paranoid. Cant relax. This is at the top base of my penis.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM...

I read history and saw the photo you posted. After that I could conclude that the lesion near root of penis is most probably folliculitis. Herpes progenitalis is very rare at this site. The lesion of herpes might be itchy and painful.There may be clear fluid filled small vesicles,which might rupture in few hours to few days. And then heal and new vesicles recur after few days to few months at the same site. This is not in your case...so,It is not herpes progenitalis. And It does not look like herpetic lesion.

I assure you that you do not suffer from herpes, so do not worry. And do not be paranoid...ok. For further confirmation, you consult the dermatologist personally.

The lesion looks like folliculitis..a bacterial infection of hair follicle. Application of antibiotic cream like fusidic acid and a short course of antibiotic like cephalaxin may cure the disease.

I hope this discussion would clear your doubts.

Still,any question..you are welcome.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 8 minutes later
I did pick at it and only blood came out. Does that further confirm your theory? Safe to continue sexual activity or should i avoid?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not herpes

Detailed Answer:

Kindly be patient. It is not herpes. Do not prick or cause any local trauma. Just take treatment from nearby dermatologist.

It is not STD, sexual activity is permissible.

I hope there should be an end of your thought process now. And you should live normal tension free life after such good counselling.

Wish you happy and healthy life.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina