What causes itching and swelling on ear lobes?

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi i have noticed my ear lobes are itchy ,red , swollen and warm to touch especially the right one which is extremely itchy and it's only by the lobes. I do not have pierced ears and doesn't wear earrings
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you may have developed an allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Itching and swelling are characteristic of an allergy and this can be due to may reasons like any new chemical which you may have applied on your hair , new soap or shampoo you may have used , or any chemical /dye on your pillows.

There are few skin conditions like atopy which may have localized itching of skin.

I would like you to meet a skin doctor , he will prescribe you a local steroid plus antibiotic combination cream , which you can apply , it will give you relief.

Please dont scratch the area as you may damage the skin and can cause an infection.

You can take anti allergy tablets like cetrizine 10 mg at night to reduce the itching.