• question-icon

What causes itching and discomfort in the anus and vagina?

Posted on Fri, 17 Feb 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am having discomfort and itching in my anal area. Previously I had discomfort in both my vaginal area and urethra (known IC) and am no longer active with husband due to pain with intercourse. But I'm uncertain if the new pain is related or if it is hemeroids or a fissure but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of the exam so I have not scheduled an appointment yet. I would like to know if there is anything obviously wrong that can be seen before I go in. I have a history of a sessile serrated Adenoma and mucocele in my appendix and my dad currently has colon cancer so the new symptoms are scaring me. It started fir a while with discomfort during bowel movements and sometimes normal looking stool and sometime sift and thin and now for about a week it is itching/burning like fireant bites. I have attempted wjitchhaxel and prep h cooling gel and epson salt baths and there has been no improvement. I have taken a picture but do not know how to add
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Email to me the picture!

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank for using HCM for your query!
Have seen all your details,I would like to see the picture which you have clicked,If you are unable to upload it email it to my id YYYY@YYYY possible try to click a close shot or make a video as it would be very helpful to make a differential diagnosis
Iitching in your anal area can be allergic or fungal also,

As per your query it can be Hemorrhoids also -
Basically there are two types of hemorrhoids,
Internal and externa hemorrhoids
Internal hemorrhoids are inside the anus while external are outside the anus,As your pain is associated with discomfort during bowel moments it can be hemorrhoids or a anal fissure also.Digital examination of anal and rectal area has to be done by a surgeon to rule out piles.However if you feel uncomfortable with that test sigmoidoscopy can be tried,but again a sigmoidoscope is to be inserted.That is the only way.
A detailed physical examination is required to rule out the possibility of piles,fissure or fungal infection.
Kindly mail to me a picture or small video so that a better opinion can be given

Waiting,
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
I sent pics and a little futher description via email. If i inser a finger vaginally and press towards the bowel there is sometjing that is sensitive to touch and kind of firm . I just want to know whst this likely sounds like after viewing pics and what tests need to be done. Thank you for your help. This is slightly less mortifying thst bringing the pics into doc (which i will still do if thats whst you say) t
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
External hemorrhoid most likely!

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Have seen the photos,It looks like a small external hemorrhoid ,Most likely grade 2 ,But again as i said earlier its only after a complete physical and proctoscopic examination that we can jump to any conclusion.
Secondly as per your query it can be either sone yhing in rectum or uterus.A transvaginal ultrasound should be done,Or if possible you should consult a gynecologist for finger percussion of vaginall canal.As it can be just a normal muscle which you are feeling by your finger.
awithout tests it not possible to reach any specific diagnosis.
Advice
Transvaginal ultrasound(to look for any rectal or uterine abnormality)
Examination of anal canal by proctoscope
Follow up with reports

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist