What causes itching and burning sensation in the genitals?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: About 2 days ago I have been having itching and burning down around my gential area on the sides of my vulva. I am scared it might be herpes. I am getting a divorce now but I was with my soon ex husband a month ago and I dont know what he has been doing.

I have pictures
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be herpes though description needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be genital herpes and with the history you have mentioned regarding the possibility of multiple partners. The suspicion of STD remains high, however simple fungal or yeast infection can also present like this with only difference being that instead of vesicles or maculopapular rash, the whitish or scaly lesion with whitish discharge predominates but can also present with reddish or erythematous lesions in the beginning.

A detailed gynecological or dermatologist review and swabs cultures and sensitivity along with STDs screen is next appropriate step.Meanwhile, steroidal and fungal cream may be continued as you already have started and monitor for it's effects.

Yes, you can simply upload/attach those pictures at the reports section of this web-page so that i can review and opine further.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
I ve added the pictures to the reports thank you
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for sharing the details.

On the basis of it's looks, it favors the fungal infection more. Using topical Clotrimazole ointment along with topical steroids as anti inflammatory, can be of help.

STDs screening study should also be done to rule out other possibilities.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 days later
I went to the Er room the doctor said it was Candida a yeast infection. They tested me for chalymida and gonoreha and HIV and all were Negative thank God. I also went to my gyn and she also stated it was a fungal infection. I was given clotrimazole and a yeast infection pill. It has been 2 days since I started treatment but I still have burning and some mild itching is this normal? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can r take some time to recover

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for sharing the feedback. Though the possibility we discussed earlier that turned out to be the case and that's good that other options we discussed have also been ruled out. As far your current symptoms are concerned, kindly continue the current medications as it may take some time for full recovery. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 34 hours later
Hey doctor so my gential irritation has been clearing up it looks better as you can see in the photo I attached to the report. However I am atill having itchiness and some mild burning. I also have a tingling sensation and now stabbing pains in my gential area. Can I truly still have gential herpes even if I dont have blisters?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 39 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be healing fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for staying in the loop. Yes I have carefully examined the pictures. It is possible but in abscence of blisters or vesicles, herpes is less likely. It can be healing fungal infection as it responded to the anti fungal treatment and the itching and mild pains can be due to healing process itself. For pains you can used analgesics like acetaminophen. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 12 minutes later
Hey thank you for responding and its 11 days and no blisters but the burning is constant thats my main complaint the reddness however is going away. I still have white discharge
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anti fungal may be continued to complete four weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi! In such scenario, anti fungal may be continued to complete 4 weeks of therapy and if the infection persists, oral antifungal and swab taken from the lesions for microscopy and cultures and sensitivity may be done to isolate exact causative bug. Meanwhile keep reviewing it with your gynecologist or dermatologist. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 44 minutes later
Okay thank you
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Closing remarks

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the kind words. Get well soon. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy