What causes itching and burning sensation during urination?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: For about two weeks I have had terrible itching and burning when urinating. About three seconds prior to my stream ending the burn gets worse. I can't sleep right now because of a deep itch inside my penis and it can't be relieved by scratching. My doc put me on antibiotic about 10 days ago but it's not getting better. I also have a very deep itch in my anus that can't be relieved by scratching. My wife and I have been faithful and are not sexually permiscuoius so I don't believe it would be an std. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you get a urine culture!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about your pains and the difficulties with urination. I am also of the thinking that you possibly have an infection. However, we need to identify the germ and what antibiotics can act best against. 10 days on antibiotics without relief is actually suggestive of a possible failure in the treatment.

For this, I suggest you send a sample of urine in for culture. This will do the following and help us advance of addressing your concerns.

1. If there for real and infection,
2. What is the germ responsible for this, and
3. What drug would be able to kill the germs.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me and ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Keep me updated with the results of your testing, too!