• question-icon

What causes itching and burning feeling on the scalp?

Posted on Wed, 6 Sep 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: For two whole nights I have had extreme itching and burning of scalp. I cannot lay my head down on the pillow without it attacking! I'm getting tired of only 2-3 hrs. of sleep.

Name of rx med shampoo is Ketoconazole.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. XXXX,

This sounds perfectly awful. I will assume the Ketonconazole (an anti fungal shampoo) was prescribed by your doctor. Did he or she have a look at the scalp to diagnose this, or was it prescribed over the phone?

I am wondering if you get your hair dyed, and if so, was this done recently prior to the onset of the itching and burning? Or do you use any other preparations on your hair or hair spray? It's possible this is a reaction to that, in which case a steroid medication may be better than the anti fungal.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
I will make appt. w/dermatologist in XXXXXXX and see if there is a steroid RX I can use. I really NEED some sleep! Washed hair this morning in shower and dumped straight distilled vinegar on a rinse. Do not XXXXXXX my hair. Have to use foam or gel setting lotion but have not been lately....just don't set it or have it done any more.
Thanks for your input! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

On reading your question again, I see that you are using a topical steroid (fluocinonide) in addition to the anti fungal shampoo. If you have been using this steroid medicine for 2 days without any benefit, I agree, it is time to see a dermatologist. But if you aren't able to get in to see the dermatologist soon, consider going to an urgent care clinic.

If you do go to urgent care, ask the triage nurse or receptionist who checks you in (or who you schedule an appointment with if they allow people to call for an appointment) to see ONLY a physician and not a physicians assistant (PA) or nurse practitioner (NP) as they have less training than an MD.

For now, I recommend the following:
-Continue the fluocinonide (steroid)
-Continue the ketoconazole (anti fungal)
-Don't use anything that can irritate the skin (I'd avoid further vinegar rinses, etc)
-For sleep, consider taking Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 50 mg. You can buy this over the counter. I am thinking this may help in 2 ways: It is sedating, and it is an antihistamine and may relieve the symptoms. If the itching is bad during the day, you can use it then too (up to every 6 hours) but note that you may feel sedated.
-See a physician in person as soon as possible if you have not already.

Good luck to you. I hope you get relief soon!

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh