What causes itchiness on the penis and eye?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in General Health
Question: My penis has been itching for a few days. From scrutum to tip of head.

No discharge from penis.

No noticeable rash on penis . May be slightly red, but it isn’t extreamly noticeable.

My left eye is also itching a lot. In the morning, the left eye won’t open as much as the right eye.

They seem related.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to a fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The itchiness of your penis is possibly due to fungal cause. I would insist you to apply some antifungal powder like Candid (clotrimazole) topically (OTC). In addition, I would insist you to take some antiallergic like cetirizine tablet (OTC) once daily for the next few days.

The eye itchiness is possibly due to an allergic cause. Cetirizine should help. Wash your eyes frequently with plain water (room temperature). If that does not suffice or if there is thick discharge from the eyes, antibiotic drops like Ciprofloxacin drops might be needed.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
So your educated guess is that the eye and the penis area both itching are not related?

Is it possible I spread jock itch from my penis to my eye area?

How possible is it, in your opinion that a std has been dormant for 2 years and is now showing symptoms?

What std is the most likely if it is one?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to have spread from one to another

Detailed Answer:
Yes, I suppose that the itch in the two places is unrelated. However, you can get your blood counts checked. A raised eosinophil count would provide a common thread but that does not mean that fungal infection has spread from your groins/penis to eye.

I do not suppose that this is related to an STD. It would not stay dormant. If you have high risk exposures, I would be glad if you explain.