What causes itchiness in the perineal area after Augmentin intake?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am on augmentin, day 6 of a10 day course. I am experiencing itchiness in the perineal area and ? If from the medication. I am having soft stool, and some diarrhea,but not enough for me to want to stop the medication course. What treatment can I do for the itchiness?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is not a side effect of Augmentin!

Detailed Answer:

Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed this information fully. Anal itches are not a side effect of Augmentin. Augmentin may cause diarrhea as a side effect but this soon after starting treatment. Anal itches are probably related to moisture around the anus. I will recommend that you wipe the anal area with a wet cloth thoroughly at least twice a day and whenever you feel the itches.

I wish you well. No medication for this at this time.

Dr. Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist