What causes itchiness, flaking and redness in groin folds ?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doc, i m a male aged 25. Recently i have this itching between the inner thighs around the fold and the pubic area,however, it is intermittent. There is no itching upto 8 hrs after i take bath but it starts suddenly. The skin becomes dry and lightly reddish. Also, when I scratch due to the itching, i feel something powdery peeling off, may be the skin. I don't see anything apart from this. No marks, no rashes nothing. Please suggest me further in this regard and medication or ointment if any.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
Perhaps you have a fungal infection - Tinea Cruris. Dryness, flaking, redness in groin folds is suggestive of that.
I suggest you to apply a topical antifungal e.g clotrimazole 1 %cream, twice daily for 2 weeks.
In addition to this you may take an oral antifungal e.g tab fluconazole 100 mg once daily for 2 weeks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad