What causes itchiness after using needle to draw blood?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I just had blood drawn and she rubbed alcohol swab but then touched again before putting in needle with gloves but touched things in office with same gloves on.
Now the spot where she put needle in is itchy (like the way a mosquito bite would feel)
Is that normal? I have never had an itchy feeling like that before at the spot where they drew blood. It is a little swollen bump where they took the blood, looks like a mosquito bite. Is it normal for it to itch or could she have had germs on her finger when she gave it the last push over the vein before inserting the needle and coudl I have something else going on now that is causing this really bad itching feeling? Or could she have pushed some of the alcohol into the vein and that is why it feels itchy? Or could she have hit a nerve and that is the weird itchy type feeling and if so how long before this feeling might resolve?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not due to germs

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms

Drawing blood or venepuncture is a invasive investigation. The needle while entering the vein has to pass through skin and also pierce the endothelial lining of vein. In doing so sometimes there may be extravasation of blood (collection of blood outside the blood vessel) which gives rise to a well at the site of puncture . It is definitely not due to injection of any alcohol or germs .
Also the site of venepuncture is away from any major arteries and nerves.

Also kindly send me clinical photograph for further assessment.

Awaiting your response

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Surgeon

Follow-up: What causes itchiness after using needle to draw blood? 13 minutes later
Hi. It doesnt look like much of anything, just little red dot now but it still itches in that area. The itching feeling is weird, like I can itch it but it doesnt help. Could it be a nerve that is making it feel itchy? Its not the bandaid part, its the actual area where the needle went in to the skin that feels itchy. Is that a normal feeling to get sometimes? I have had blood drawn out of that vein everytime for year and never had this feeling before.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Irritation of free nerve endings

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Occasionally some individual may experience such discomfort and itch. It is due to subcuticular blood irritating the free nerve endings(not due to any physical damage to nerve ). The sensation will subside. Local application of ice will be helpful.

Wishing you great health.

Best regards
Dr Deepak

Follow-up: What causes itchiness after using needle to draw blood? 20 minutes later
Thank you very much for your help doctor.
I will write you back tomorrow if it is still feeling weird/itchy
Have a good night XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take Care

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Dear Ms

Wishing you a happy and healthy life.

Take Care

Best Regards
Deepak