What causes irritation of face after application of cosmelan depigmentation cream?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Jun 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I'm using cosmelan depigmentation cream on my face. I fell a little irritation, is this normal? What can I do to ease that feeling.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Irritant reaction due to the medicine

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
The kind of irritation that you have developed is quite common after application of cosmelan skin cream.
In case the irritation is minimal, it will settle by itself if you stop application of the medicine for two to three days. You can simply use a moisturizer over the face.
In case it is causing too much discomfort or itching , then you can apply a mild topical steroid cream like cortisone over the affected areas twice a day for two to three days.

Once the skin irritation settles, you can restart application of cosmelan cream over the pigmented areas at night. Make sure you apply a very small amount only over the affected areas . Do not rub it . Just apply a little amount and leave it.
Also before application of the medicine , you should apply a moisturizer over the whole face.
These measures will help in preventing any such irritation in the future.

Hope it helps

Please ask if you need any further clarifications

Dr Geetika Paul