What causes irritation, mild itching, redness, soreness and watering in the operated eye after cataract surgery?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Sat, 10 Aug 2019 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I had my 2nd cataract surgery today. Unlike the first one, it feels like I have something in my eye and it won’t stop wateringHi, can I answer your health question? Please type your question here...
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Postoperative symptoms vary from eye to eye & person to person.

Detailed Answer:

Irritation, mild itching or soaring of the operated eye with little redness & watering is normal after cataract surgery...the symptoms could be varied with eyes in same person or from person to person.

Most of the times the symptoms recede with rest for the day/use of advised eye shield, sunglasses/putting eye drops as advised/avoid rubbing or putting pressure on your eye/keep the eye clean, use washed clean hand before you touch the eye.

Please follow the caretaking of eye & be calm & positive. In case you find the symptoms not reducing over the time OR increases & gets unbearable please consult the surgeon immediately.

I hope you are satisfied with the answer.

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng