What causes irritation, itching and watering of the eyes resulting in reduced blinking?
L : -5.5 spherical and cylindrical - 0.5
R: -6 spherical and cylindrical - 0.75
Since last few days( 4-5 days) he is facing a problem in his eyes.
he feels his automatic blinking has stopped and has to blink consciously. He is also been complaining of eye irritation/itching and watering in the eye which happens as he is not blinking. He is reminded of blinking when the itching or watering starts.
He is disturbed because of this and not able to concentrate on his studies. What has caused this reduced/no blinking ? It is really worrying.
Not a matter of serious concern
These symptoms are possibly suggestive of dry eye syndrome, which is very common in Myopics. Artificial tears are the standard modality of treatment. Treatment for at least 2 weeks is required.This is not a serious issue. It will resolve gradually.
Make sure to have a sound sleep for 6 to 8 hours per night.
Along with artificial tears, I prescribe Olopatidine eye drops to reduce the itching. Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to improve your son's symptoms.
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
olopatidine drops ? Also for how many days do u recommend to continue with the drops?
Every 4th hourly is the right dosing
It's advisable to use the drops every 4th hourly for a maximum period of 5 to 7 days.
Dr. Suresh Heijebu,
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes continuous watering of eyes
- What is the cause for constant blinking in eyes
- What causes eye irritation with redness and dryness
- What makes the eye sensitive to light and cause irritation
- What causes irritation redness and pain in the eyes
- What could be the cause of watery eyes and irritation
- What causes irritation in eyes with headache and eye pain
- What is the cause of watering in the eye
- What is the cause for irritation in eyes
- Eye irritation caused by jock itch