What causes irritation in vagina after using a shaving cream?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hello

I have a very sensitive vagina. Have been diagnosed with lichen simplex chronicus due to latex allergy...I have been using a scented shaving cream to shave down there. It often gets inside my vagina, which is now very irritated. I am now just realizing that it is right after I shave, I am getting irritated. I just was treated for BV, but have shaved several times since then and am irritated again. Is there anything OTC that I can use for this?

Also, I have been in a monogamous relationship for 3 years, so there is no chance of STDs...
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A few precautions more important ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

I would like to start by asking you to not only change your shaving cream (which can easily upset the balance of the vaginal pH), but also stop shaving for at least 2 weeks after the infection has been completely treated (i.e. since the appearance of the last symptom). It would also be advisable to avoid sexual contact in all forms for at least 2 weeks after the final dose of the medications prescribed to treat the infection.

The above mentioned points are most important in your specific case, as I understand that the medications used previously were effective, but the above mentioned factors led to a recurrence of the infection.

Now coming to the OTC medications requested by you ma'am. I would like you to first know that this depends entirely on the culture and sensitivity report that was conducted by your doctor. This investigation gives us vital information on which medication would be most effective and which would not be effective in your case. So if you do have your test results with you, please do attach them to our discussion.

Next, I would think that the medications you used to treat your BV just recently should also be effective, so please write back to me with the name of the medications, dosage and duration of use so I can further advice you on the same.

If at all you wish, it would also help to revisit your prescribing doctor as he/she would know your case more precisely and advice accordingly. But if you do not wish to do so, then I am here to help, so do not worry. Please do write back to me with the requested information so I can further help you ma'am.

Looking forward to your kindly response.

Best wishes.