What causes irritation in upper right mouth after gall bladder removal?
However, 3 days ago, I developed a feeling of irritation (not exactly pain) in my upper right rear mouth also also in my throat, and also deep in my right ear............all simultaneously. The feeling is a little stronger when I swallow. When I slightly press my lower right ear, behind the lobe, the sensation is stronger. I have not had any fever, and when I look in my mouth with a mirror, I don't notice anyttghing unusual. According to my girlfriend, the visible part of the inside of my ear looks normal. I have had no drainage of any kind. And I don't have any cold symptoms. I am not taking any pain meds as I haven't needed them since a couple of days after surgery.
Could this be caused by the surgery of a week ago? And if so, why?
Whether relate or not, what would be the usual process to diagnose what's causing this.
Thank you for your query.
1. I recommend that you bring this to the notice of your surgeon.
2. The initial assessment should include an examination of the ear and throat, preferably with a videolaryngoscopy.
3. This would be a referred sensation if the ENT examination is within normal limits. This area shares common nerve supply from other areas of the head, neck, chest and upper abdomen.
4. Possible causes for this are :
a. Mild intubation trauma if the gall bladder removal was done under general anesthesia. You were on pain medication for a couple of days after the surgery.
b. A post nasal drip if you have been recumbent (and you have a history of sinusitis).
c. Gastritis, esophagitis or bile reflux or irritation in the larynx / pryiform fossae (worth a relook).
d. Dryness in the throat due to dehydration, decreased food intake and decreased oral hygiene common immediately after surgery.
I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes indegestion after gall bladder removal
- What causes right sided back pain after gall bladder removal
- What causes gall bladder problems
- What causes distended gall bladder
- What causes blood in stool after gall bladder removal
- Cause of gall bladder removal
- What causes dizziness after gall bladder surgery
- What causes swollen liver after removing gall bladder
- What are the causes of gall bladder calculus
- Removal of gall bladder causes impotency