• question-icon

What causes irritation in the groin area while on Plavix?

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I take Plavix and a baby aspirin each day. I had a minor blood clot 4 months ago near my ankle. It irritated the vein all the way to my groin. I was told to continue my 325mg aspirin therapy. I gradually increased the strength to 4 a day. My PCP asked me to switch to Plavix and one 81mg per day. I am on vacation and the irritation has returned. I took one 325mg today. I just woke up with extreme urgency, while someone was already on the stool. I pinched the end of the penis to prevent flow. I lost all urgency and had two or three drops fall into the pool of water. Any need to be concerned?
XXXXXXX Hoskin
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that the urinary urgency does not seem to be related to the blood clot.

It may be related to an urinary infection. For this reason, I recommend you to watch your urine.

If it is of a different color (darker or redish) or if you have pain while urinating, or an increased frequency I recommend performing a urine analysis.

If there is presence or red blood cells in the urine, without any other signs of infection, it may be necessary to stop taking Plavix, because of the urinary bleeding. Anyway, an abdominal ultrasound would be necessary in both cases (urinary bleeding or infection).

If the ancle is swollen compared to the other ankle, I would recommend going to the ER for a Doppler ultrasound of the leg vessels.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist