What causes irritation at the tip of the penis?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I've been dealing with an irritation on the tip of my penis for 2 weeks now. I was tested for STD's, all negative. I've used an antifungal ointment for 4 days and the symptoms are not better. Can you recommend another OTC solution? I have no other symptoms, discharge or pain. Although urination will usually cause irritation.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This may be a resistant fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

It would help greatly if you could post a photo here for me. You can upload it at the reports section.

This may be balanitis--a fungal yeast infection of the penis and if it hasn't responded to an anti-fungal ointment, a course of oral Diflucan should resolve it.

OTC creams like Lamisil can be tried, but there is no OTC equivalent for Diflucan.

That said, the ointment you are using can take up to four weeks to be effective.

Please let me know if you need any more information

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee