What causes irritation and red rash under foreskin?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Men's Health
Question: hi i am experiencing irritation around my penis. i have a red rash like mark under my foreskin and under the head of my penis. this has been here for over a month and is a little sensitive to touch. the colour becomes very red at times and then fades but doesn't disappear. i am also suffering from small tears in my foreskin after sex. i have tried lube but the small cuts still appear. i recently had a STD check (blood and urine) which came back negative but I really worry as most answers lead to herpes. my girlfriend was recently giving tablets for a small case of yeast infection. any help would be appreciated
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send pictures of the affected area.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand your concern for the red area on your Penis since one month.

It is really distressing sometimes to get anything unusual in young persons like us and therefore can understand the anxiousness.

In view to help you best I request you to kindly upload your pictures of the affected area. Kindly take few good resolution pictures focusing the affected area.

For that you have a feature on the right side of the page.
Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY & Sexually transmitted diseases.
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX thanks for helping me with this issue. i have uploaded some pictures for you to see. forst picture shows the small cut. i have several of these which is making pulling my foreskin back painful. the second picture is of the red rash i have under my foresking on base of penis head. thanks
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Candidal balanoposthitis:fungal infection at penis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again and thanks for posting important details with pictures.

After analyzing the pictures and correlating with your query it appears that you are suffering from fungal infection at penile and prepuce area known as Candidal balanoposthitis.

Fungal infections are common type of infections which can affect anybody at any site. But more commonly it affects the areas which are more prone for moist areas (as in your case). More specifically these are related to the hygiene and environmental factors along with certain systemic complaints as in hormonal problem such as diabetes.

Due to moistness it leads to growth of fungus at moist prepucial areas specifically in uncircumcised males. Additionally persons who have bit excess of sugar are also prone for the growth of fungus.

For the betterment kindly follow the suggestion below:

- Wash your prepuce and penile area with mild soap. Do it two times gently during bathing.

- If it is causing irritation then can do cold compression or warm water compresses according to the weather condition.

- Keep your self away from hot and humid climate.

- Take two times bath.

- Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments.

- Do not sit continuously for long hours.

-Don't try to scratch or rub the area as can lead to further aggravation of the problem.

For the treatment part -

In my patients I suggest them to apply latest anti-fungal creams such as "Sertaconazole" or "Amorolfine " and take anti-fungal tablets according to medical advise.

I also suggest to take oral anti histamine like loratadine or levocetrizine two times a day under medial advise if there is moderate to severe itching is present.

I also suggest to go for your blood sugar check up and also see if your partner have white discharge. If it is so then would be best to treat the other partner. Use protection till complete resolution occurs.

You can follow the above regimen for 3-4 days and if benefit occurs can follow the same for next 10-14 days. If the rash still persists then can meet a dermatologist for doing culture & sensitivity if required.

I assure you fully that your condition is not herpes so do not think in that direction.

I hope these information will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)