What causes irritation and foul odor in the vaginal region?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I have been experiencing irritation and odor from my vaginal region. I’m in a state of discomfort
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a yeast infection.

Detailed Answer:
The irritation and odour can be due to an yeast infection and this can be ruled out only be performing a detailed examination.
This typically presents with the symptoms that you have described. This can be treated with antifungal angents like miconazole. You can use a vaginal pessary like Gyno Daktarin once a day for 2 weeks. Please follow the instructions on the package carefully.
Local application of 2% clindamycin gel is also helpful. In such cases, your sexual partner also needs complete course of treatment.
It is also important to keep your private parts scrupulously clean. Trimming your pubic hair, not using any soap to wash your vagina and keeping the area clean and dry will help.
In case these do not help then proper prescription antibiotics are needed after a detailed examination.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
I hope this answers your query.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng