What causes irritation and dryness in vagina?
Low estrogen. Vaginal dryness/ vaginitis should be ruled out.
Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:
According to your information, vaginal irritation or pain may be due to vaginal dryness in relation with pH imbalance and low estrogen (common at your age).
Dryness and thinning of the vagina (vaginal atrophy) that follows drop in estrogen around menopause is the most common cause of above clinical features. Less estrogen means less vaginal lubrication.
In some women, it can lead to a feeling of vaginal tightness with pain, burning or soreness. Inflammation and irritation can develop into atrophic vaginitis, leading to greater discomfort and sometimes to tearing and bleeding of tissue.
Urinary tract condition should be properly evaluated by routine, microscopic and culture test of urine. Irritable bladder syndrome or interstitial cystitis should be ruled out through Cystoscopy.
In my opinion besides the ultrasound scan and pap smear, I would also consider complete hormone profile (serum estrogen level, FSH etc), a Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan, and Colposcopy (if needed) for complete evaluation of the case and pinpoint the diagnosis.
Until then, following measures could be helpful in your case:
1) Use vaginal moisturizer cream like RepHresh pH gel or VAGISIL cream to avoid irritation and maintain vaginal pH. Estradiol patch or cream may be required. Maintain genital hygiene properly.
2) Wear only cotton clothes. Don't wear any tight fitting clothes/ underwear to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. Take sound sleep adequately.
3) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like Vitamin -E or C, Selenium, Zinc etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water or juice for better systemic circulation. You must LIMIT Salty/ Sugary/ Fatty foods.
4) Avoid chemical cosmetics, perfume or scented bath products around genital area. Keep the area mostly dry.
Hope, I have answered your query. Wish your good health and take care.
For future query, you can directly approach me through
wanted to make sure you received my question I submitted it but not sure if it is being processed thank you XXXXX
Colposcopy should be done in this case.
Welcome back again. Received your followup and following are my additional suggestions:
1) Beside vaginitis, we need to rule out some other associated pathology like Vaginal fissure/ incontinence, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Cervical erosion etc through proper clinical examination and investigations.
2) Investigation includes: Colposcopy (depending on Pap Smear test result) is the FIRST preference in this case. Urine analysis for infection, Vaginal XXXXXXX test, complete blood count, diagnostic laparoscopy (for PID) etc may be needed to carry out following your doctor's consultation.
3) You must take a consultation from Gastroenterologist also to rule out and treat intestinal pathology if any.
Hope, it helps for your information. Good luck and take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could cause itchiness and dryness inside the vagina
- What causes inflammation in vagina
- What causes dryness and itching in the vagina
- Scrotum irritation caused by vagina
- Colitis causing irritation in vagina
- What causes dryness and itching on the swollen vagina lips
- Loose and irritable vagina what could be the cause
- What causes irritation in vagina with spotting after sex
- What causes irritation in anus and vagina
- What causes sperm to irritate a vagina
- Suggest treatment for termination of unwanted pregnancy
- What causes delay in periods?
- Is Amoxicillin safe to take during pregnancy?
- What causes heavy bleeding in post-menopausal period?
- Suggest safest ways to abort pregnancy
- Suggest ways to abort pregnancy
- Suggest ways to abort pregnancy
- Suggest treatment for Gestational Diabetes Mellitus
- What causes high triglycerides?
- How to confirm the rupture of hymen?