What causes irritation and double vision after cataract surgery?

Posted on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: On November 7, 2014 I had my second cataract surgery. The first eye went well and is healing fine. The second one though still feels irritated and I am having double vision. I want to know if it will get better or if there is a problem. I call my Ophthalmologist and he didn't seem alarmed. Should I be?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,Get second eye examined

Detailed Answer:
You should get it examined by doctor who operated your second eye. It is mandatory for him to have post operative follow-up. Since you are having diplopia, the problem may be with IOL (Intra ocular lens). Then you have to see diplopia is uni ocular or binocular. The problem may be in retina. Preoperative assessment of retina is to be known. Power of IOL in both eyes is to be seen. It might be developing an isometropia. And retinal tear or detachments to be excluded if present then required treatment to be given. It may so happen once it settles down it may be normal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist