What causes irregularly shaped pupils in both eyes?

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Let me try again. My 14 month old daughter had oddly shaped pupils in both eyes. Her pediatrician noticed something off with left pupil but never told me what. She said it should be fine but to keep an eye on it. Recently, she has begun to put left hand over right eye during playing, reading, anything. What would you think is likely wrong?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
get an ophthalmology cconsult

Detailed Answer:
Hi

From what you describe the pediatrician Is not so sure whether it is a real abnormality or a normal variant.!

The best solution is a consultation with a pediatric ophthalmologist to clarify!

keeping her hand over the eye may be due to excess light from a dilated pupil or a habit.

Glaucoma should be ruled out !

So please schedule an appointment with the eye specialist.

Good luck

Dr Uma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 30 minutes later
I'll do that today. Could it be vision problems due to the odd shape? What if it's Coloboma? Would vision problems arise from that? I suppose I just want to be mentally prepared going into specialist.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 days later
Brief Answer:
unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Am very sorry for the delay in reply.

Coloboma is sometimes an incidental finding. It has to be specifically looked for. There can be associated defects with coloboma. It can allow excess light to go in

It is unusual for odd shape to have visual defects --- however odd shaped pupil is a non medical, non descriptive term and hence I suggested pediatric ophthalmologist's opinion.

Till then be calm .

God bless

Dr uma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology