question-icon

What causes irregular vaginal bleeding and spotting?

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017
Question: I am 48 years old. I still have regular periods. I have become sexually active over the past 3-4 months. After about a month or 2 of sexual activity, I began to have light spotting in between periods and, even when I wasn't on my period, my breasts seemed very swollen.. Do I need to see a doctor? I had essure sterilization at age 38.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should consult an OBGYN specialist

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Irregular bleeding and spotting can be due to hormonal disturbances, or local lesion in the cervix or vagina, including malignancy.
A proper local examination , ultrasound, hormonal levels and pap smear should be done to confirm the diagnosis and further treatment should be done accordingly.
Breast tenderness is most likely due to hormonal changes.
I Will suggest you to consult an OBGYN specialist for proper examination and treatment accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine