• question-icon

What causes irregular periods?

Posted on Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi I had my last periods on 15/12/2013. I never had irregular periods till date. I am 43 years old. Got my urine test for pregnancy on 26th jan2014 . It was negative. Got my Blood test done on 29th XXXXXXX 2014. Beta HCG was 118. Doctor did internal checking. She was not sure of anything. I was sent for 2D ultrasound color flow dopler set(transvaginal).It reported "presently no intra/extra uterine gestational sac seen. I was asked to wait for some more days before anything can be finally XXXXXXX or any treatment b given. I am worried for my late periods. Though i got cramps and feelings as if i am going to have my periods from 13th XXXXXXX to 22nd XXXXXXX 2014. but at present i am having very uncomfortable feelings in lower parts of legs, kind of pain. I was feeling nause a lot. But i may connect it with addition of some medicines in my ongoing treatment of biopolar disorder. I am on following medications for last 2 years. and present dosgae are Oleptal 300mg morning 600 mg at night quitipin 75 mg recently increased to 200 mg venlor 37.5 morning Lonazap25mg was introduced 21 days back which was changed to Lamosyn 25mg 7 days back . Kindly solve my tension, Am i pregnant or had miscarriage or delay in periods can b associated with medications. then why HCG showed positive result thought it was v less 118. Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: repeat test Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX First you are in a transition period due to your age. At 43, you could be peri-menopausal.That will cause irregular periods. Having said that, pregnancy has to be ruled out first. If your last period was in december, then by now, if you had been pregnant, it has to had to have shown up on ultrasound. I would suggest that you repeat a urine pregnancy test, if its positive, repeat the ultrasound. Intrauterine pregnancy has to show up. If nothing can be seen, make sure the ectopic pregnancy is ruled out. Beta hcg in non pregnant women should be less than 5. But its a relative test and has to be repeated every 48 hrs to check the rising titre. My advise would be to repeat the tests again.
Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN