What causes irregular periods?

Posted on Tue, 7 Oct 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Dr XXXXXXX nice to meet u, i saw my lately my period has changed from being regular. For example in jun was 5th, july 4th, aug 16th, but have not seen sept

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
investigations advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello, the delay in periods can be due to several reasons like stress, exercise or dieting.
But the kind of pattern change you are experiencing is not consistent with any of these so I would suggest you to get a pelvic ultrasound done and ask your doctor to mention the size of ovaries and endometrial thickness.
Most common reason can be an ovarian cyst but without ultrasound it will be difficult to comment.
Also get thyroid hormone levels and prolactin levels tested.
Get above investigations tested and then we can discuss our further plan of management.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 23 minutes later
Thanks doc, will do just what u adviced. If i could add, ihad an intercourse with my husband in aug before my period on 16th , but no signs of vomiting but i feel pains in breast and on my wait..
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no risk of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Intercourse around 16th Aug (the date of your last periods), cannot lead to pregnancy as there is no ovum to fertilize.
The breast tenderness you are experiencing is because of upcoming periods most probably and is due to the progesterone playing its part.
Get those investigations anyways whether you get your periods or not.
All the best.
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN