What causes irregular periods?

Endocrinologist
Question
Hi , I am 44 years old. I had been having my periods somewhat irregularly since last year . It used to come once in 40- 45 days . I had been prescribed Modus 10 mg for 5 days by a gynecologist for 3 months ,which had helped me. However once I stopped that I have not got my periods back, since 3 months. Pregnancy test is negative, I have undergone tubal ligation 6 years back. Ultrasound is normal except a thin endometrium.Breasts are normal. Thyroid hormones, Prolactin are all normal.

What could be the problem?
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
perimenopausal symptoms?

Detailed Answer:
Dear ma'm, Hi! what appears to me is irregular periods due to early menopause. You had prolonged cycles since last one year, as you said 40-45 days.

Then you were having progesterone induced withdrawal bleeding.

Now as you said thyroid and prolactin is normal, we need to see your LH, FSH and estradiol for confirming the diagnosis. Kindly give fasting blood sample between 8 am-9am.
Regards!

Follow-up: What causes irregular periods? 27 hours later
Estradiol: 842 pmol/l

FSH : 28.92 mIU/ml

LH: 75mIU/ml

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 44 hours later
Brief Answer:
LH and FSH are both high.

Detailed Answer:
Dear ma'm, Hi! as i was anticipating both LH and FSH are high and in post menopausal range. But surprisingly your estradiol is also very high. kindly confirm it to me or mail the reports as such to me. regards!