What causes irregular periods with excessive hair fall?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hello Sir/Madam
I am XXXX 23 years female.I am having this problem since 4 years now,it is that I get irregular periods that too lasts for maximum 2 days had I have been losing my hair a lot its not only when i comb.I get difficulty in sleeping and am suffering from mood swings,anxiety and depression with fluctuating weight increase and decrease.Have consulted many gynecologist and skin specialist and have been prescribed with m2 tone and biotin respectively.Have even done thyroid test and ultra sound which are normal.The ultra sound reports are not sure though as the doctor said.Please help.Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send details of your problem.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the hair fall and other related problems.

I have gone through your complete query and can make out multiple issues of health along with hair fall. In view to help you best I request you to kindly provide certain important points

- Since how long you have hair fall and other health problems.

- Do these both the problems started simultaneously or one after the other.

- How many hair fall everyday. Do you see hair on pillow or bathroom or during combing too.

- Do you see thinning of hair too.

- Tell me about your daily routine, dietary routine and occupation.

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 25 minutes later
Sir here are my answers to your questions
1.Since how long you have hair fall and other health problems.
A.it has been 4 years now but its getting severe now and i have consulted doctors and have had biotin for 6 months i was even prescribed to use tugain gel 2% men but i was scared to use it because of the side affects.

A.I am not sure about it as i didn't took it seriously in the beginning as i was told it may be due to hormonal imbalance.

A.I loose a lump of hair every time i comb or even if i brush it with my hands.yes i have hair on pillow every morning and whenever i wash or oil my hair i loose more may a hand full sometimes.i had got typhoid twice in 2009 and 2010 for extra information.

- Do you see thinning of hair too.
A.yes my hair has completely lost its volume i used to thick long hair but now its thin and doesn't even grow that much.

A.I can't sleep at night at all even if try to sleep early like at 10:30 pm i wake up by 1-2 am.i try to sleep for 3-4 hrs at day time because of this.i have a balanced diet breakfast,lunch and dinner.mostly rice,dal,curry,bhaji,dahi is what i eat for lunch and dinner.Tea and Coffee intake is very rare i.e twice or thrice a month.no smoking no alcohol.fast food or canned food is very very rare.
currently i am preparing for ias exams.

Sir even my period problem is getting worse it lasts only 2 days with less bleeding that's even a matter of concern because i may get married soon and my family is scared that i may face problem in near future.

Even i have a distinct weight issue as it flutuates i was 56 kgs on 11th july and today i.e 14th july i am 60kgs this has happened many a times.

Thank you in advance.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
kindly reduce your stress level

Detailed Answer:
Hello young lady,

Welcome again and thanks for posting your important details of the query.

After analyzing your query completely, I can make out that you are suffering from the problem of "Telogen effluvium" with other systemic problem of thyroid and vitamin D.

To tell you simply about "Telogen effluvium" let me explain you some medical facts regarding it:

We have a hair cycle divided into three parts:

1. Growing phase (Anagen): more than 85 -90 % of hair are in this phase.

2. Senescence phase(Catagen): around less than 10 % of hair are in this phase and is the phase before falling.

3. Falling phase (Telogen ): a very few percentage of hair. We have almost 1 lac hair on our scalp and amongst them few percent of hair are in falling phase and then another 0.1% (around 50-100) of hair can fall everyday.

In certain conditions such as long term illness or any stressful event and medications, or any systemic illness such as thyroid issue or deficiency states, some more of the hair may come in falling phase. These extra of the hair which comes in senescence are actually visible as falling hair and we call this condition as telogen effluvium.

The reason for the acute turning of growing hair to telogen hair is due to the complete changes in body after illness or stress or systemic problems. This can start any time after 3-6 months of systemic problem and remains for few months to multiple months after its beginning.

I can make out stress as one of the most important cause behind all your problems. Improper sleep with early wakening, weight issues, improper cycles and especially hair fall can all be related to your sever stress problem.

So the first and foremost of the thing to be done form your side is to reduce your stress level. If at is required then can take a psychological counseling for the same. I have seen and treated so many cases of your kind of problem where stress was the most important cause of hair fall and other related problems.

Now regarding the part of treatment: For the betterment kindly follow the suggestions below:

1. Eat at least 3-4 different fruits saplings per day. Every fruit is good but you can make a combination of sour with sweet fruits such as oranges, papaya and other of seasonal fruits.

2. Pulses are good source of proteins. So everyday have a small bowel full of mixed pulses. Add green leafy vegetables additionally in the pulses which contain lot of iron and vitamins in it.

3. Sprouts are the best source of fibres, minerals especially iron, vitamins and proteins too. So add it at-least alternate day if you cannot make in every-day's part of meal.

4. Overnight soaked and peeled almonds will give you good vitamin E which is good for the hair growth.

5. Milk and milk products should be included in every-day's schedule.

6. Do light exercises, reduce your stress as all these have bit impact on skin so also on scalp skin.

If I were your dermatologist then would have prescribed you tablet containing Acetylcysteine, Calcium Pantothenate, Selenium, Zinc, Biotin, Copper as active ingredients. You can take these vitamins in the form of biotin, calicium pantothenate and other vitamin B complexes. Other than this an iron supplementation in diet and in tablet form is also helpful.

Hair fall control takes atleast minimum 3-6 months so have patience and follow good diet and daily routine to get best hair growth again.

I again suggest you to kindly reduce your stress level to take care of all your problems.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)