What causes irregular periods despite being on Norethisterone?
My wife has an issue since her teenage. She has irregular period. Sometimes, it takes 2-4 months for a period to happen. She then needs to take progestin medication like 'Norethisterone'. Period used to have heavy bleeding before, since last one year, this has stopped. Although, the period is still not regular. Please advise any suggestive diagnostics to find out the root cause of the issue.
Treatment for irregular periods during puberty and around the menopause is not usually necessary, but if irregular periods occur during the reproductive years, medical advice may be necessary.
The main cause of irregular periods are-
Thyroid Disorder (over-or underactive thyroids can cause a hormonal imbalance which can suppress your ovulation):
STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease)
Pregnancy (Irregular periods can sometimes be a sign of pregnancy. If you think you could be pregnant, see your doctor for a consult.)
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
Diagnosis of the root cause of the issue is very difficult, this can be made by several blood test and Ultrasound and by treating gynaecologist.
It’s important she has a balanced and healthy diet all month. There are some particular foods that are very helpful in regulating periods and getting her menstrual flow going:
Pineapples and papaya are well-known home remedies for irregular periods. The bromelain in the pineapple and papaya will help soften and break down her uterus lining, which can help solve a period block.
Also, aim for an intake of half a teaspoon of cinnamon (mixed in warm lemon water with honey or in a glass of (almond) milk).
Some studies show that cinnamon helps regulate the insulin levels, which in turn can help regulate ovulation and therefore also having a regular menstrual cycle.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Needs hormonal tests and ultrasound scan.
Diagnosis of PCOD is done by ultrasound, transvaginal, transabdominal or 3D and there should be at least 10-12 follicles 2-10 mm in diameter or increased ovarian volume.
This is called 'pearl string appearance'. Investigations which are done to diagnose PCOD are FSH, LH, Prolactin, DHEA's etc under doctor's guidance.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause and treatment for irregular periods
- What causes missing irregular periods
- Irregular periods difficulty in conception what are the causes
- Overweight getting irregular period what is causing this and cure
- What causes irregular periods with breast sorenessheadachesdizziness and nausea
- Have irregular periods what is the cause and cure
- What can cause irregular periods
- What could be cause of irregular period with negative hpt
- Taking mercilon for irregular periods cause of irregular periods
- What causes irregular periods and blood clot discharge
- Sex after candid v3 treatment
- What causes breasts to shrink and invert nipples?
- What should i do for chest infection and high BP ?
- What should i do to know whether i am HIV infected ?
- Does increased smoking and alcohol intake during stress increase heart...
- Is it possible to resolve monoamine oxidase deficiency by controlling diet?
- Late menstrual cycle, negative pregnancy test, laparoscopy
- Are there any side effects of abortion pills ? How long will it take to...
- Cut caffeine, low BP, frequent bloating, extreme fatigue, slight pain in...
- What post surgical care is needed following a spinal cord stimulator...