What causes irregular menstruation followed by prolonged bleeding?

Excellent
Question
I had not had a period in 3 months. Had normal pap. Have inflamed outer vaginal area treated for yeast started lite bleeding day one treated for 3 days I have now been bleeding for 7 days and nothing has changed what could be going on
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
peri-menopause?

Detailed Answer:
Your are probably per-menopausal at your age. This means there is a hormonal imbalance in your body causing irregular cycle. You may now get irregular cycles upto 2 yrs, before complete cessation of menses.
You can check your hormone levels if you wish.
Since you havent bled in 3 months, current bleeding may be heavy.
You can take TAB Tranexemic acid 500 thrice a day if the flow is heavy.
Eventually your cycles will stop when you havent bled in more than 6 months.

I also suggest getting a ultrasound pelvis to rule out any uterine pathology.

Follow-up: What causes irregular menstruation followed by prolonged bleeding? 2 hours later
I am scheduled for a biopsy on the rough patch in two days. Can that help clear up anymore questions?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
vaginal biopsy?

Detailed Answer:
Vaginal biopsy is done routinely nowadays . Since your bleeding is continuous for 7 days it's unlikely that you are bleeding from the rough area on the vaginal wall . Where is te bleeding coming from ? Is it a vaginal bleed like a period or heavy bleeding from the rough area on the vaginal wall? Inflammed areas normally indicate infection of some kind . A biopsy will certainly confirm any infection .

Follow-up: What causes irregular menstruation followed by prolonged bleeding? 9 hours later
Yes it is more like a period. It started after I started treating for yeast. The rough patch just itches and hurts bad at times. The outer area will also swell at times. I hope to have more answers after biopsy. They are doing that on outer wall.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
vaginal biopsy?

Detailed Answer:
Ok i understand now . As i have said before you are probably peri menopasal . Hence the irregular cycles . The rough area in the outer wall definitely needs a confirmed diagnosis . The biopsy will help there of course . Excoriation of the skin can occur due to vaginal discharge also . But it's always advisable to confirm .