What causes irregular menstruation after intake of Unwanted 72 pill?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: my wife had unwanted 72 on 3rd may and had her period on 14th may....next she had her period on 11 th XXXXXXX but with lesser bleeding...next she had her period on 11th july but it last only for two days....there after she did not have period till now....checked twice for probable pregnancy twice through prega news pregnancy test and found negative....is there anything to be worried ? .what should we do.?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
delayed menses....

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the query to HCM,
It is generally seen that the next 2-3 cycles are delayed and often bleeding is less after an emergency contraceptive pill intake ( like unwanted 72), but the periods were almost regular in her case though bleeding was less. So this can be termed as a side effect of the pill itself. As the present menses has been missed by more than 10 days now and the pregnancy test is negative, so you may actually wait for another week to allow menses to arrive naturally.
If the menses do not arrive then she can opt for a withdrawal bleed with progesterones to resume her menses. Stress in itself is a known factor which can delay menses as well, so try remaining stress free as this is not phenomenon which is exclusive to her but is commonly seen in most women.
Please wait for another week and then you may opt for a progesterone withdrawal.