What causes irregular menstruation after an abortion?

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Is it normal if the second period is delayed after an abortion?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, due to harmonal imbalance

Detailed Answer:
Hi
hanks for the query

Yes, usually it takes 2-3 months time to regularize your monthly period immediately after abortion.This mainly due to increased Progesterone level during your pregnancy or at the time of abortion.So for the stabilization or for the balancing of estrogen and progesterone hormone it takes time, during which period may be delayed or it may get preporn.

If your pregnancy is terminated during the first trimester, your period should return in four to twelve weeks after an abortion.

Usually with medical abortion after taking pills heavy bleeding for short period may occurred but depends upon size of pregnancy.

In your case if you are not getting period,you may have to go for repeat ultrasound to see whether uterus is empty or not.

Was your 1st period normal? you got periods at regular time? with normal bleeding as before?

Awaiting for the response
Dr Priyanka G Raj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka G Raj 6 hours later
Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I usually had regular periods with 28 days cycle and after my delivery I was in 27 days cycle.

I missed my periods on last may. So I took HPT on 31st, 34th and 37th day and it showed negative result. But on 41st day it showed positive result. So I took abortion pills on 43rd and 45th day. I started to bleed by next day morning. It lasted for 3 days. The flow was normal and the pain was bearable than my normal periods. The doctor told this might due to late conception and terminating the pregnancy earlier. I went for the follow up ultra sound scan too and the report showed that there was no gestational sac found.

I got my first period after abortion on july 7th that is after 34 days. I had severe pain and heavy blood loss for 5 days.

Now I am in my 43rd day and I didn't get my period yet. I went to see my doctor and she asked me to take a pregnancy test. The result was negative. So the doctor told me that it will take 2 to 3 months to get regular menstrual cycle and asked me to wait for few more days.

But she also suggested me to take 6 regestrone tablets for three days if I want my period to come immediately.

What should I do now?

Shall I wait or take tables now?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes , You can take it

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing again
and sorry for the delayed response
Yes .You can take 6 regestrone tablets for three days and it makes your period to come immediately.
Tab Regesterone is a female hormone important for the regulation of ovulation and menstruation.
It is safe , you can take that tablet.

Dr Priyanka G Raj