What causes irregular heartbeats while on Levaquin and Diltiazem?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was put on Levaquin for walking pneumonia and Diltiazem to prevent an outbreak of AFib, though my heart rhythm was normal at the time. Last night my heart did a weird pumping sensation and I got very dizzy for a few seconds and now my chest feels strange. Will Diltiazem harm me if I don't have AFib going on? Can it cause a problem? or is it more likely the Levaquin?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that the episode you refer seems to caused by a cardiac arrhythmia.

You should know that pneumonia and other lung disorders can lead to supraventricular arrhythmias.

Levaquin could also also cause cardiac arrhythmia as an adverse effect.

So Diltiazem would be very helpful in preventing these arrhythmia induced by the lung disorder and Levaquin intake.

From the other hand, diltiazem and Levaquin have no interactions, which means that it is safe to take them at the same time.

I agree with your doctor choice on starting Diltiazem.

If you don't have any bradycardia (which would limit the use of diltiazem), I recommend you to continue taking it.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions, whenever you need!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 minutes later
I plan to visit my doctor today and ask to switch to Augmentin for my antibiotic. Would that be better given past episodes with A-Fib? Also, as my heart has been in a normal rhythm, do I really need to take Diltiazem? If I'm not currently experiencing an irregular heartbeat, would it be harmful to use a calcium channel blocker?
Brief Answer:
I recommend discussing with your attending physician on these issues.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I agree with the fact that augmentine does not induce cardiac arrhythmia like levaquin does.

But, you should know that the antibiotics choice is based on the type of infection and responsible bacteria.

So, you can not switch from an antibiotic to the other based only on the adverse effects.

You should discuss with your attending physician on this possibility.

From the other hand, diltiazem use should be based on the fact that you have frequently experienced supraventricular arrhythmia or/and you have evidence based on the cardiac ultrasound of cardiac structural changes (increase in the atrial volume, etc), which could lead to supraventricular arrhythmia.

You should discuss with your cardiologist on the above issue.

Hope to have been helpful!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri