What causes irregular heartbeats and valve disease?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have had irregular heartbeats for 30 years and have been on atenolol for that length of time. I was diagnosed with MVP and have had a right axis deviation for over 15 years. A lot of testing by my cardiologist has revealed no blood flow issues or valve disease. When my stomach gets gassy I have a lot of irregularities. Just checking.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably related with anxiety. Try to stay calm!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this irregular heartbeat. Most likely, when your stomach gets gassy you become anxious. Anxiety leads to the release of excitatory substances that cause the heart to beat faster and stronger. This would make the irregular beats to be felt more easily. My advice is that you stay calm and relaxed when this happens. develop some relaxation techniques like breathing deeply in and out or yoga. These would prove very helpful in addressing these. There are no major reflags for you to be concerned about right now.

I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
DR, thank you for the information.What can cause the right axis deviation that i have had.
thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be nerve block or a hypertrophied heart!

Detailed Answer:

Axis deviation is commonly caused when the right heart is hypertrophied as a result of over working. Also, electrical impulse conduction difficulties can cause this. MVP is a possible cause of this. Seen the fact that it has been there for several years without any further problems, means it is well managed.

Be calm, relaxed and positive. All is okay.