What causes irregular heartbeat during moderate physical activity?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: Hello again doctor,

Hope you are doing well.

I started following your advice to meditate to overcome anxiety and trust me I feel much better than before and I am not really worried about my condition.

However, I am writing to you to know about my unusual experience in my pulse while I am exercising. I exercise for at least 30 minutes everyday and I mostly do cycling. From yesterday, I am having this strange feeling of my heart skipping a beat, I tried checking my pulse immediately after I exercised and noticed that there is a sudden pause in the pulse and the next pulse after the pause is bit heavy and then the pulse goes to normal rhythm (this may repeat for 2 to 3 times). I am not having any other symptoms nor pain in the chest, I am able to breath normally while I experience this.

I am definitely not anxious about this but wanted to know if this is normal and take your advice to prevent these things further.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Those are ectopics

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Good to hear from you, first of all am very happy that you started meditation and more happy that you are already feeling good with that. Just continue it and make it a part of your life it will really boost your confidence and self control.

Now coming to the skipped beat which you are experiencing those are missed beats or ectopics which are followed by normal strong contraction which are normal when we workout.

If these are happening once In a while there is nothing to worry about them, yes they are appreciable so don't worry about that.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Wish you good health.

Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 15 hours later
Thank you so much doctor for that information. I really appreciate your patience with all my questions.

I just wanted to know if there are any ways to prevent/avoid them?

Also, would normal walking for about 45 minutes serves equal benefits of vigorous exercise like cycling, weight lifting or treadmill running for about 20 minutes? I want to know this because, if I am feeling ectopic due to strenuous exercise, I can switch to an alternative exercise like normal walking for about 45 minutes because I do not feel such unusual beats while walking.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's a pleasure answering you

Detailed Answer:
Hello Again

There are two ways of avoiding them

1. By taking beta blocker meds
2 . By reducing the intensity of exercise

I would like to suggest you to go with the second option.

Yes, 45 mins of morning walk for 5 days a week will provide equal benefits and most probably won't cause any ectopics also. It's a recommended amount of physical activity by all cardiological societies. And as you are not obese there is no need of going for sternous exercises.

Eat healthy and walk daily, it will keep you fit and fine.

Have a good day.

Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj