What causes irregular heart rhythms?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: At night when I sleep, I feel like I have a buzzing in my heart/shimmering. I am 52 and going through menopause. I have never had heart issues in my life until about one month ago I stated getting this sensation in my heart.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get cardiac profile and minerals done.

Detailed Answer:

At menopause, it is common for certain irregularities of the heart rhythm to develop, even though there may not be any gross organic disease. From the explanation of your symptom, it appears as if you are experiencing some abnormal beats and bruit.

This can happen with anemia, calcium deficiency, which is a common accompaniment of menopause, hormone deficiencies and cardiac issues.

I would ask you to get a complete evaluation as a precaution. You should get a complete cardiac profile, hormone status, mineral content in the blood and any other significant needed investigation as your consultant feels.

If everything is fine, simple supplementation of calcium usually helps to control this disturbance. Please maintain a healthy diet, relaxation and rest.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact for any more clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.